Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"National Soup Month" ends :(

It has been a good month of soups for me and I hate to see it end! But, for my sake and yours, I've saved the best for last!  (At least I think it is the best of the soups I make!)

I got this recipe years ago, from an old friend of the family, who had immigrated from Italy shortly after WWII.
Farmer Boy Minestrone Soup
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. of ground Chuck Steak
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
  • 3 Tablespoons of salt
  • 1 medium-sized Onion, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground Black Pepper
  • 1/2 Cup of snipped Parsley
  • 1 1/2 Cups of diced Carrots
  • 1 Cup of diced Celery
  • 2 Cups of Cabbage, finely shredded
  • 1 Cup of Zucchini, diced
  • 1 Cup of Yellow Squash, diced
  • 1 Cup of shelled Peas
  • 1 Cup fo dried Kidney Beans, soaked overnight
  • 4 quarts of water & 1 quart of Beef Stock
  • 1 large can (1lb. 12 oz.) of Tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 Cups of Elbow or Ditalini Macaroni
  • Grated Parmesan Cheese
Directions: Brown the meat in a stew pot with the oil, garlic, onion, celery, squash, carrots, salt and pepper.  Add the water and stock.  Cook, covered, over medium heat for about an hour.  Add the cabbage and kidney beans.  Simmer for another half hour.  Add the peas and tomatoes.  Simmer for another quarter hour.  Bring to a boil and add the macaroni.  Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Serve, topped with grated Paresan cheese.

I think you'll absolutely love this soup!  I know I do!  :)

"Let us make memories carefully of all good things, rejoicing in the wonderful truth that while we are laying up for ourselves the very sweetest and best of happy memories, we are at the same time giving them to others." Laura Ingalls Wilder

If you make this recipe, please come back here and let me know how you liked it. Thanks.  And please spread the word, if you like my blog site!  Thanks!   The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

No comments: