Saturday, January 12, 2013

Another recipe for "National Soup Month"

The cold winter rages without, but within the homefires burn.  The kitchen brings a warmth to the soul and the body.  I remember well, sitting at the kitchen table as a small boy, waiting for this soup to be served.  I can still remember it's wonderful fragrance, as it cooked.  Now, as I prepare it myself as an adult, it brings back warm memories of those who prepared for me as a child.  
Here's your opportunity to use that soup stock I mentioned in my post at the beginning of the month!  What a great time to prepare this recipe:
Farmer Boy Beef Barley Soup
Ingredients:
  • 2 onions, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, finely chopped
  • 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
  • 2 Plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 10 Cups of beef stock
  • 1/2 lb. or more of lean beef, diced
  • 1/2 Cup of barley
  • salt & pepper to taste
Directions: Place the onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, and beef stock in a large pot.  Bring to boil over medium heat, then simmer for at least 20 minutes.  Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
Add the beef and barley to the pot.  Cook, till the barley is tender (about 40 minutes). Season with salt & pepper.
Serve hot with your choice of soda crackers or croutons, etc.  Get warm, from the inside - out!  :)

"Men and women may keep their life's blood warm by heathy exercise as long as they keep journeying on instead of sitting by the way trying to warm themselves over the ashes of remembering."  Laura Ingalls Wilder

I have never read anywhere of this being a soup that Laura ate, either as a child or as an adult.  But the recipe of Beef Barley Soup has been around long enough, that she could have enjoyed it!  This recipe comes from the vast arsenal handed down to me by my family.  I hope you'll enjoy it, as much as I do!  Let me know, by leaving a comment on here.  Thanks.  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

1 comment:

Val said...

You should host a soup supper for Mansfield, Jim. A few slow cookers to keep the different soups warm, something Laura-ish happening while everyone eats. . . . :)