Farmer Boy Apple Walnut Scones
- 2 3/4 Cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 Cup of sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of: ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 Cup of chopped Walnuts, (Black Walnuts, if you can get them)
- 1/2 Cup (one stick) cold butter, diced
- 1 Cup of fresh apple, (any variety you like - I use Fuji)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 3 Tablespoons of sugar & cinnamon with 1 1/2 Tablespoons of milk (optional topping)
Directions: In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients, except the walnuts. Cut in the butter. Then add the nuts and mix. (I mix the walnuts with all the spices before adding them.) Next comes the wet ingredients. Mix the eggs, apples, vanilla and applesauce together and then add them to the dry mixture. Mix enough to saturate the dry ingredients, but don't over mix it or it will become tough.
Form into balls, about 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Place each onto parhment paper and flatten slightly. Place the parchment paper with the dough balls into the freezer for about 1/2 hour. (This will help to keep their shape and rise higher)
After the resting time, remove from the freezer to a sheet pan. *Note: if you want to, you can apply the optional topping at this time.
Bake in a pre-heated oven, at 425 degrees F. for 18 to 22 minutes, till the tops begin to brown slightly.
Remove the scones to cool on the pan.
This recipe makes about 1 1/2 dozen.
They are exceptional when served warm. When cooled completely, they can be placed in plastic bags for storage - even frozen, and then re-heated slightly.
They are great, served with a pad of butter on them, or dipped in apple butter or even served with a scoop of ice cream (maybe not for breakfast though!)
"We can work our dreams into realities if we try, but we must be willing to make the effort." Laura Ingalls Wilder
Once you try this recipe, please get back here and tell us how it turned out! Thanks. Enjoy! The Old Man in the Bib Overalls