Sunday, January 27, 2013

"National Cowboy Poetry Week"

Real cowboys are a vanishing breed.  I have known some.  They are, generally, thoughtful and polite.  They are to be admired for the job they do, working with cattle.  Their life is rough, their exterior is rough and rugged, but inside they are emotional and tender.  This combination should be something which any man should consider to emulate.

When I was a young boy, I played; pretending to be a cowboy.  What I knew of cowboys at that time came from TV and movies.  I guess it was a good thing that I thought more of Roy Rogers, than those "bad guys" that he fought against!   Sure, Matt Dillon carried a gun, but he was the Marshal!  And the Lone Ranger wore a mask, but he was a hero, who worked to right the wrongs.  Their depiction gave me a moral code to live by - that drives me, even today.

This is an example of a cowboy poem.  Their poems come from the heart, are usually not too sophisticated, reflecting their love for their constant companions - their horse and their Lord.  Their poems reflect a meter and rythym of their horse's hoof beats.

"The Cowboy Way"
by J. Czaspar
What is it about the break of day
That causes you to get up an' on your way,
Drivin' the cattle across the plain,
Prayin' that it ain't a gonna rain?
A couple hotcakes and a cup of Joe
It's saddle up and off we go.
Spurs dig deep
For the trail is steep.
Cut 'em out and head 'em in.
I'd be a cussin', if it weren't a sin.
The sun is high.
Ain't a cloud up in the sky.
The trail just seems to never end,
But I know there's rest just 'round the bend.
The sun goes down and day's end draws near.
Campfire brings a meal and a song.
Missin' home, that I ain't seen for so long.
But know the night will soon be morn
No time to be tired, lonesome or worn.
How do I get up and keep a goin'?
Just trust the good Lord, that's what I'm knowin'.
And he'll see me through another day
Knowin' that it's just the cowboy way.

Old cowboys never die - they just ride off into the sunset.

"I may not be a real cowboy, but I've played one off TV."  ;-)
I hope you'll look up more cowboy poems.  And if you ever get the chance to go to hear the cowboy poets read their poems, don't pass up that chance!

The Old Man in the Bib Overalls & this week - the cowboy hat too


No comments: