Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Spinach/Artichoke Hummus Grilled Cheese

Okay, so how does "The Old Man in the Bib Overalls" come up with a sandwich recipe like this?  That's a long story!  Here is the shortened version: My grandmother (on my mother's side), had a second marriage after having my mother.  The fellow she married was of unspecified ethnic origin.  He would never admit to any in particular, but what I could weasel out of the family was that he might have family in Turkey.

Now the second part of this story covers the fact that at one time he had a diner somewhere.  All this took place before I came on the scene, so details are all sketchy!

Growing up I had the opportunity to visit my Grandparent's home in another state a few times, during summer vacation times.  Grandpa always did the cooking (once a chef, always a chef, I guess!).  I always enjoyed the meals that he served.  Had I been older and wiser, I would have asked for his recipes!  As a result of all of this, I only have a few of his recipes, which were passed on to me through others in the family.

This is one of those. I have no idea if it was his invention or one of many recipes he collected and used while cooking in his diner.  But, with the use of Hummus, it seems likely that it was something that he might have had from his family.
Farmer Boy Spinach/Artichoke Hummus Grilled Cheese
Ingredients: (This makes enough Hummus for a number of sandwiches or for use in other dishes)
  • 1 lb. of Chick Peas, soaked and prepared (or use canned, drained)
  • 4 Cups of fresh Spinach, finely chopped, then gently cooked
  • 1/2 Cup of Artichoke hearts, chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon of Red Bell Pepper, finely diced
  • 2 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Sesame Paste (Tahini)
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
  • 2 - 4 Tablespoons of sharp Cheddar Cheese spread, or use shredded cheese (for each sandwich)
  • 2 Slices of bread (any variety)
  • melted butter
Directions: To prepare the Hummus: use a food processor.  Simply process the cooked peas.  Add the chopped spinach, artichokes, and peppers, along with the juice, garlic, oil and Tahini. (You can save the Hummus in a sealed container in the refrigerator to use in other dishes, if you'd like.)

Sandwich assembly: Lay out 2 slices of bread (I prefer using whole wheat bread), and spread both with cheese.  Next, place 2 - 4 Tablespoons of the Hummus on one of the slices of bread. Combine both slices to make a sandwich. Brush melted butter on top.  Place the sandwich onto a medium hot griddle or skillet.  Cook till lightly browned.  Brush the top with more butter and turn over to brown the other side.  Serve warm.

This is good served with a side of rice pilaf, made with raisins and nuts!  And a glass of apple juice, tops it off good too!
I occasionally  think back upon those times spent with my grandfather.  I remember how many schemes and dreams he talked about, that he either attempted or wanted to attempt in his lifetime.  Most of them were spurred on by his selfish ambitions.  And those were mostly unfulfilled or unsuccessful!  But I do believe it was his example of entreprneurship that most encouraged me to pursue my dreams.  But, being led by my relationship with the Lord, was what gave me the focus and not give in to selfish ambitions.

"Those who stop dreaming never accomplish anything."
"If we would not be satisfied until we had passed a share of happiness on to other people, what a world we could make!"  Laura Ingalls Wilder

I hope you'll try out this great recipe!  If you do, please come back here and leave a comment about it. Thanks.    And, if you wouldn't mind, share this blog site with some other folks too!
The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

No comments: