Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Personal "Sweet Memories"

Today is "National Cherish an Antique Day".

I started my life, growing up in the house of my Great Grandparents.  As a child, I saw this dresser set every day on the dresser of my Great Grandmother.  Now that I have inherited these pieces, those childhood memories of Great Grandmother are present each time I see them.



Saving items like this, from one generation to the next, is a good way to keep alive the memories and legacy of our ancestors.  Each item holds its own cherished memories.  Whether those items be expensive or inexpensive, large or small; they still carry memories. If you don't have antiques to pass on, you can begin with any personal possession and one day it will be an antique!  An accompanying written history, or "Provenance", will provide a history with each item.  A story going along with them will keep alive the memory of those who first owned the items.  I hope you have some cherished antiques in your family.

"The world is the beautiful estate of the human family passing down from generation to generation, marked be each holder while in his possession according to his character." Laura Ingalls Wilder

The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

No comments: