Sunday, April 7, 2013

"No Housework Day"

Now here is a day that many would like to see!  But, if everyone participated in this day, there would be a price to pay!

It seems these days, we see a lot of people who shrug their responsibilities already, without encouraging them by giving them this excuse!

Now, I can't say that I really enjoy, with great anticipation, my housework.  But, without my doing it, it would not get done!  I don't have a wife, nor the means to hire someone else to do it for me.  And, when I think about it, even if I did have those available to do my housework, would it be the right thing to have them do my housework?

I'm reminded of the gal who always swept the dirt and debris, which accumulated on her floor, under her rug.  One day that became an embarrassment, as a visitor tripped over the rug, exposing the mess underneath! She learned her lesson the hard way!

But it is no different than any other of the things which people try to avoid doing or covering up.  Once a week on my radio, I catch a segment on my favorite station.  It is called, "Bozo Criminals of the Week". In this they tell about the stupid mistakes that criminals and would-be criminals make.  Most of these are costly mistakes, but are avoidable, if they had any sense to begin with!  But when someone is focused on making life easier on themselves, without paying the price of following the rules, or putting forth their best efforts, they end up in a position that makes them look foolish. (or worse!)

Housework is what is called, "A necessary evil". Unless you want to get sick from accumulated germs, dust mites and droppings of a variety of vermin, cleaning a house on a regular basis is of utmost importance!

I appreciate how the Lord instituted houseswork into His plan for people. Once a year, during the feast of Passover, there is a purging in the house of all leavening (which is associated with a growth of yeast or festering of other things, like sin).  But if you wait to do that only once a year, you'll be up to your neck in it! But how often do we find ourselves deep into sin without even noticing it? And then how difficult it is to change that habit!  I've heard that it takes at least three weeks of constant replacement of actions to break a habit. Considering that we don't know if we have another day given to us by the Lord, we could be in big trouble!  Unconfessed sin separates us from fellowship with God.  As Christians, we have the promise in God's Word, that nothing can separate us from His love. But we can't use that as an excuse for not taking responsibility for our actions.

So, we must clean our spiritual house as well as the house in which we reside. This takes a daily inspection of the house.

As Christians, the Bible says that our body is the residing place of the Holy Spirit.  This is why we must keep that house clean, free of all sin.  The Holy Spirit, is just that, "Holy"!  When we sin, we grieve Him, we chase Him out of the house!  He cannot reside where sin lives on a regular basis.  If you go so far as to sin willfully and never confess your sin to the Lord, (as 1John 1:9 says we are to do) then we are blashpheming Him and face a terrible judgment!  And the Lord calls that "The Unpardonable Sin"!

So, I urge you to do your housework on a regular basis and sweep all that mess out of your house and your life!  Spring cleaning is good, but without doing housework all the time, you will be in trouble!  It is my prayer that you and I, at all times, be found serving and honoring the Lord in all that we do, say or even think!

"To be sure there are limits to the lessoning of work. I could hardly go so far as a friend who said, 'Why sweep? If I let it go today and tomorrow and the next day, there will be just so much gained, for the floor will be just as clean when I do sweep as it would be if I swept every day from now until then.' "  Laura Ingalls Wilder

As the pioneers build this land, the motto was, "Go ahead!"  Let's keep that motto today and move ahead, doing what we know is right!

The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

No comments: