Sunday, July 31, 2011

Where's Waldo?

"Waldo" is the name I have affectionately given to the Praying Mantis in my flower garden.  He is named after the main character of the classic children's book, which bears his name.

As weather permits, I occasionally sit out on my front porch between visits of customers.  While out there I have the opportunity to view another world - that of garden insects.  My garden is adjacent to my porch, and affords me a good vantage point.  Waldo is just one of the many different species who inhabit that world inside my garden.  I have observed spiders, walking sticks, ants, bees, butterflies and all sorts of others, who I don't know by name.  It takes patience and careful observation to see these tiny creatures in their natural habitat; but the show is worth the admission!

Waldo caught my eye one day, even though he was well camouflaged. (Much like his namesake!) I have seen him many times since, but have never seen what he is "praying" for - which I assume would involve his devouring a fresh meal.  I'm not sure I'd really like to see another insect eaten alive by him anyway!  But, it is always an astonishment to me to get a glimpse into the vast realms of God's creation.

If you want to learn more about "Praying Mantises" you can go to http://creationwiki.org/Praying_mantis on the internet.
Oh, and remember to pray before you eat your meals!  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

"The voices of nature do not speak so plainly to us as we grow older."  Laura Ingalls Wilder

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen a praying mantis in so long. I remember trying to find them when I was a kid. Are they native to certain areas of the country?