Tuesday, July 5, 2011

This just in...

It may not be big news for you, but it is for me!  My first crop of the year has come in from my little veggie garden!  And it may not be your favorite, but it is mine!  It is high in vitamins A, D, K and C, along with a host of others.  It serves to lower Cholesterol and aids in detoxification.  And it has a wallop of flavor!

Today' secret ingredient is --- Broccoli!

Farmer Boy Recipe
Here's another farm-fresh foods recipe:  This one comes from the "Caroline Ingalls School of Culinary Invention".  Ma Ingalls could seemingly put food on the table when there weren't any ingredients on hand!  She had to feed as many as six family members at one time and others as they arrived on the scene as well.  I've never had to do that, but I've often looked around the pantry and wondered what I could make for myself with limited provisions!  This is just one of those such recipes.  I call this one,

"Happy to meet you, Broccoli & Cheese"
Ingredients:
  • 6 Cups - Broccoli (chopped - fresh or frozen)
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons - Whole Wheat Flour
  • 3-4 Tablespoons - Butter or Margarine
  • 1/2 Cup - Milk
  • 8oz. - Sharp Cheddar Cheese (grated)
  • 3/4 Cup - Cottage Cheese
  • 1/2 Cup - Bread Crumbs or Cracker Crumbs
  • Pinch of Paprika & Nutmeg
Directions:
Blanch the broccoli and drain.  Make a dark roux with the flour, butter and half the milk.  Beat the eggs with the remaining milk.  Add the cheeses and the broccoli to the mix, along with the roux.  Stir till mixed well.  Pour into a buttered or oiled casserole dish.  Sprinkle with the Paprika & Nutmeg, and the crumbs.  Bake at 350 degrees F. for about 40 minutes, till the top is just turning a golden brown.
This is good as a side-dish with baked ham, or fried chicken or with any other meat dish.
You may be forced to find another veggie instead of broccoli - I've used spinach and it works well!  Just improvise, like Caroline would have!  Cooking should be a fun adventure!                                     If you like the outcome, please leave a comment to let me know.  Thanks. The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

Humorist, Will Rogers said, "I've never met a man that I didn't like."  My saying is, "I've never met a vegetable that I didn't like."  (But it does make a difference how it's prepared!)

There are more veggies to come from my little garden this year (Lord Willing!) and I'll let you know when they come in and I'll try to include some in my "Farmer Boy Recipes".  Stay tuned for more!

"All is good for us if we but reach out our hand to take it."
Laura Ingalls Wilder

No comments: