Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tea Time with Laura Ingalls Wilder

I adhere to the statement, "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"  I try to remain optimistic in the face of adversity, trusting in the Lord to go through "The Valley of the Shadow of Death" along with me.  But this isn't about any of that - it's about:
"When the garden gives you mint, make tea!"

I've tried growing mint, catnip and other herbs in containers from seeds; but it never seems to work as good as when it just grows wild.  So when I discovered I had some wild mint growing in my garden, I cut some and dried it out to have as tea.  Life is just full of little surprises - some good, others not so good.  The mint tea is tasty as well as soothing to the stomach and relaxing, when those not-so-good times come!  Mint tea reduces stress, boosts the immune system; being rich in vitamin B, calcium and phosphorus.  During the hot days of summer I add about a cup to mint tea to a gallon jug of decaf sun tea.

Now, I'm not an Herbologist and don't recommend you just dive into cups of herbal teas without knowing what adverse effects it may have on any particular health condition you may have.  All I can do is tell you what good I get out of it.  If you have concerns for youself, I suggest you ask your physician or consult with an authority on herbs.

I enjoy a cup of tea or a glass of iced tea.  I think it tastes good and relaxes me.  And I think that herbal teas, without caffeine, are better than your "Run-of-the-mill" teas.  But these are just my opinions.

Laura Ingalls Wilder was a frequent visitor to my house.  She belonged to a number of women't discussion groups or clubs.  They would meet in each other's houses and have tea as they discussed things.  So when I have the opportunity to sit down and sip some tea, I think of Laura and her friends and neighbors.  I can pretend that she will be coming in to join me.

It is always a good thing to stop work for a while and sit down, relaxing with a cup of tea.  Sometimes you just have to force yourself to do what is good for you!  (And not feel guilty about it!)

"Work is like other good things in that it should not be indulged in to excess, but a reasonable amount that is of value to one's self and to the world, as is any honest, well-directed labor, need nver descend into drudgery."  Laura Ingalls Wilder

1 comment:

Laura said...

I have a cup of coffee in the morning, but then it's tea or water the rest of the day. Iced or hot...depending on the weather!