Thursday, June 7, 2012

Recipe for "National Chocolate Ice Cream Day"

Boy, give the guy who thought up this day a medal!  Of course, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make some homemade ice cream! 

I don't think the Ingalls family ever made this, but if they had the means, they probably would have!

Farmer Boy Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
This recipe is for a small batch, about 2 1/2 to 3 quarts.
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup of sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 3 Cups of whole milk
  • 1 egg & 3 egg yolks, beaten
  • 3 squares of semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
  • 2 Tablespoons of Dutch Chocolate powder
  • 2 Cups of heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla
Directions: Combine the sugar and salt in a pan.  Over medium heat, stir in the milk.  Cook till it begins to simmer, stirring constantly.  Slowly add about a cup of this to the beaten eggs, so that they temper, but don't cook and become scrambled eggs.  Then add all of that back to the pan, stir and continue to cook.  This should cook for about 2 to 3 minutes and thicken.  Then, over low heat, stir in the chocolate squares and then the powder.  Lastly, stir in the cream and vanilla.  Cover the pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  Freeze as directed on your ice cream maker.
To be honest, I don't know if I followed this recipe completely at the time I took this picture, because each time I make it I tweak the recipe a bit.  But this is my basic recipe for chocolate.  I'm not opposed to adding things to this, like nuts or chocolate chips or Jalepenos!  Remember, working in the kitchen should be fun - so do it your way and see what happens.
If you make this, please leave a comment here, to let us know about how it came out. Thanks.  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

2 comments:

Mama Hen said...

Just what I need...another reason to each chocolate ice cream! I don't have an ice cream maker, though, so sadly I won't get to experiment with this.

Cheryl said...

Looks great. I'm not a fan of chocolate ice cream, but the girls love it.