Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Farmer Boy Chocolate Pudding

Today, being "National Chocolate Pudding Day", I figured I'd post my recipe for Chocolate Pudding.  This is a recipe that I've made over the years and improved as I went. I hope you like it!

Farmer Boy Chocolate Pudding
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 Cup of light brown sugar (packed)
  • 3 Tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 3 Tablespoons of Dutch-process cocoa
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 3/4 Cups of whole milk
  • 1/4 Cup of heavy cream
  • 1 Cup of milk chocolate chips
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Directions: In a large sauce pan, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt.   Whisk in the milk and cream, till smooth.  Over medium heat, add the chocolate chips and bring to a simmer.  Add about 2 Tablespoons of the warm mixture to the egg yolks and mix it to temper the egg yolks.  Then add this to the mixture.  Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, whisking it constantly.  It should thicken in a couple minutes and you'll see large bubbles appear on the surface.  Take it off the heat and add the vanilla.
Pour into 4 chilled ramekins, dessert cups or bowls.  Cover each with wax paper or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator, chilling for about 4 hours.
Serve, topped with whipped cream.
I have to admit, I couldn't wait those 4 hours, so I put one of the filled ramekins in the freezer for about 20 minutes!  :)
I hope you'll try this recipe and then leave a comment here for all of us to see how it came out.  (Please don't leave any spam here, it is filtered out before published, so you'd be wasting your time!)
If you like my blog, please tell others about it, so they can become followers too.  Thanks.
The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

No comments: