Friday, March 29, 2013

"National Mom & Pop Business Owners Day"

This is a day which I celebrate on both sides - as a small business owner and I appreciate all the other small businesses as well.

The Mom & Pop businesses of our nation are the unsung heroes of our economy.  Not only are they open to compete with large corporations, but they often work long hours, put in hard work, and very often don't have much to show for their efforts.  Sometimes the only real reward they receive from all their hard work is to see happy customers from their goods or services.

Mom & Pop businesses have been around since the beginning of organized society.  They are the backbone of communities.  They bring people together over their goods or services.  And they usually do so by giving people something at a savings to them.  They are there when you need them.  And they are usually your neighbors.  They are usually someone you can trust.  And they usually put their profits back into the community.

Now, more than any other time in the history of our country, the small business owner is threatened by more governmental regulations than ever.  This usually means that they are not able to expand.  It also means that when they do expand, they can expect to take more away from any profit they are currently making.  This makes running a business very risky!

It is a shame that small businesses are treated this way, considering that this country was built on the backs of small business. Most of the large corporations that we have today, had such small beginnings.  And this has always been "The American Dream" - to build from a small business and make such a success that one becomes well off.  Today, that dream is being threatened!  Ask yourself this question, "What incentive is there to build a big business from a small business?"  It used to be that you were rewarded when you did this, by keeping your money.  You used to be able to put some of that money back into your business as well as taking something to the bank for yourself.  And, if you would, you might put the money into hiring others.  But now, the incentives are falling away!  If this governmental incursion keeps up, it will be the ruination of our country!

As a small business owner, I can tell you that I know I'll never become wealthy by being in business!  It was never my intention to become wealthy. My main emphasis has been to run my business as a ministry to help others.  My "Mom & Pop" business lacks the "Mom" part; it is just me working it myself.  I have put myself into all that I do to run my business.  But, even if I never see a profit, I know that I am giving people what they desire!  I know my customers go away happy!  It would be nice to make enough money from my business to meet the incurred expenses.  It would be nice to go beyond that, and be able to add to my own income. (Which was what I had in mind, and my intention as I opened my shop.)  But, so far these things have not manifested themselves. I didn't start out with a whole bunch of capital; I had no sponsors.  So, I have used my savings to help get things going and keep them going.  Someday I may have to stop putting in all that outlay of cash.  If that happens, I'll join the number of Mom & Pop businesses that just couldn't make it!  Until such time as that, I'll keep doing what I can to provide good products and services for my clientele.

One thing about being in business for yourself - you'd better love you boss! :)

I urge you to support your local Mom & Pop businesses everyday!  You'll be glad you did - and so will they!  On behalf of all of them, Thanks! 

I guess it worked out good that this was the day I re-opened my shop for the 2013 tourist season! 
Hope you'll stop in soon! 

The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We're a second generation mom and pop business. It's hard, sometimes thankless, and we'll never get rich. But we love what we do and we'll always put our all into it until we just can't do it anymore. Whether that's when we retire or sooner I guess we'll just play that by ear...