Sunday, December 2, 2012

National Fritter Day!

I developed this recipe while living on the farm a few years ago.  At that time, I was growing organic apples in a small (12 acre) orchard.  I gave away bushels of apples and brought some to sell at the farmers market.  But I still had more apples than I knew waht to do with! 
I ate apples at just about every meal.  I made applesauce and apple butter and all sorts of dishes.  Now that I've moved from the farm and don't have access to all those apples, I really miss them - even though it was a lot of work!
Farmer Boy Apple Fritters
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 Cup of milk
  • 2 - 3 apples
  • oil for frying
Directions: Dice up the apples (to 1/4 to 1/2 inches). (You can leave the peels on them.)  Pre-heat the oil in a skillet or deep fryer.  Mix all the dry ingredients together.  In a seperate bowl, beat the eggs, stir in the milk and the diced apples.  Combine with the dry ingredients.  When the oil is 375 degrees F. ease the batter into the oil, by a Tablespoon at a time.  Fry until golden brown.  Drain on paper towels or on a rack.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.  (makes 12 to 15 fritters)
"Honest, well-directed labor need never descend into drudgery."  Laura Ingalls Wilder
I hope you'll enjoy making these, as well as eating them!  Please come back here and leave a comment to let us know.  Thanks.  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

No comments: