Tuesday, December 4, 2012

National Cookie Day!

My Christmas Cookie Baking Excuse!

What, it's December already?  Where did the year go?  I was planning on baking a bunch of cookies that I normally bake for Christmas, but time got away from me!  I've been doing this for something like 35 years and this is the first time I wasn't able to get to that baking!  My apologies - if I had baked all those cookies, I would have posted them here.  So, this means I'll have to share those with you next year instead (Lord willing!).  In the meantime, I'll share a few cookie recipes here before Christmas.  Maybe they will be something new to you, that you'd like to make for Christmas.  This is one of my family heirloom recipes:

Farmer Boy Carrot Oatmeal Cookies
Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1 Cup of quick oats
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1/2 Cup of butter, softened
  • 1/2 Cup of honey
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 Cup of nuts, chopped (I use Pecans or Walnuts)
  • 1/2 Cup of carrot, shredded
Directions: In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, and baking soda.  Add the butter, vanilla and egg.  Using an electric mixer at low speed, mix well.  Stir in the nuts and shredded carrot.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.  Bake in pre-heated oven, at 350 degree F. about 12 - 15 minutes, or till the edges are a light golden brown. Transfer on the parchment paper to cool on the counter.  Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
I like these cookies because they are not ultra sweet! They should be low in calories, but I'm not counting those, are you?
"Everyone is complaining of being tired, of not having time for what they wish to do... It would be a wonderful relief if, by eliminating both wisely and well, life might be simplified." Laura Ingalls Wilder

I hope you'll try this recipe for Christmas and then get back here and leave a comment about it. Thanks.  Look for more recipes soon!  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

No comments: