Friday, July 20, 2012

National Lollipop Day!

Before I opened a candy shop, I didn't know there were such controversies - But it seems there is a question as to what constitutes a "Sucker" as opposed to a "Lollipop"!  Do you know the difference? (If there really is one!)

All I ever knew about "Lollipops" was what I heard in the famous song, sung by cute, little Shirley Temple!

When I looked to the internet to answer that question, I found differing opinions.   One would tell you that both are "suckers".  Yet another would give you their opinion that one is spherical and the other is flat and circular.  While both of these answers are logical, I'm not sure that anyone really knows for certain.  I believe the terms are commonly interchangeable.

But one thing I do know for sure: they are still very popular after all these many decades of production!

In my shop I have some large and some small, and some which are somewhere in between those sizes.  They come in all flavors; from "Wild Cherry", "Root Beer", "Sour Apple", to a mixture called, "Bluberries and Cream"! (only to mention a few!)

When I asked my houseguest, Freda, what she knew about the subject from her 90 years of experience, this is what she related to me:
"When I was but a young girl, we went into town to the local general store.  While the folks did their shopping, I would look around the store at all the different things.  The store owner, a very kind and considerate man, would ask my folks if he could give "the little girl" an "All-Day Sucker".  They would agree that it would be alright to do that."
But, when I asked Freda what that "All-Day Sucker" looked like, she told me that it was a globe-shaped piece of candy, about an inch in diameter, on a stick!  All through her life she thought that was an "All-Day Sucker"!  She was shocked when I described an "All-Day Sucker" as being a flat sucker of considerable size! (at least 3 or 4 inches!)  It seems that the "kind and considerate" store owner had a different definition for "sucker"!  :)

When I was a young fellow, I had someone give me an "All-Day Sucker" that was probably about 6 inches in diameter!  It didn't last all-day - it lasted for days!

Sadly, the popularity of "All-Day Suckers" has dwindled and I don't even carry them in my shop.  And, I'd dare say, that not many even remember them anymore!
At least lollipops are still popular and are made on a large scale, so I can offer those in my shop.

So whatever you call them, I hope you'll join with me in celebrating "National Lollipop Day"!

I hope you'll stop by Laura's "Sweet Memories" and purchase a sucker or some other of my "Old-Fashioned" candies.  The prices start at 10 cents a piece! So you don't have to buy a whole big bag of candy unless you want to; and even then, you can get a nice variety. (unlike those big bags of candy at the super stores!)
Thanks. The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

1 comment:

Mama Hen said...

Funny, I never thought about there being a difference. Whatever you call, they're all good!