Monday, July 23, 2012

Farmer Boy Recipe - Vanilla Buttermilk Ice Cream

To celebrate today's "National Vanilla Ice Cream Day" I am posting this "Re-do" of my recipe, (in my archives under "Ozarks Blackberry Ice Cream" recipe).  *NOTE: you'll need an ice cream freezer to make this recipe.
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 Cups of whole milk
  • 1 1/2 Cups of buttermilk
  • 6 Cups of heavy cream (whipping cream)
  • 2 large eggs +
  • 1 1/2 Cups of sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons of pure vanilla extract
Directions: Pour the milks into a sauce pan and scald.  Let this cool to room temperature.  Lightly beat the eggs (you may wish to add an extra egg yolk also).  Temper the eggs, by adding a little of the warm milk to them, then add the eggs back into the milk.  Add the sugar and slowly warm the mixture over low heat to dissolve the sugar. (Stir constantly!)  Add the cream and salt.  Simmer for about 2 minutes.  Cool this in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.  Then add this to your ice cream freezer and crank away!  When finished, remove the ice cream to containers and freeze till it is hardened off.  This recipe should make close to a whole gallon.

To celebrate "National Vanilla Ice Cream Day" I served this up my favorite way: topped with peanut butter and chocolate syrup!  Now, all I have to do is keep from eating the whole gallon!

"We eat too much! Everyone says so! But we keep right on eating.  Every good becomes evil when carried to excess." Laura Ingalls Wilder

I hope you'll make this recipe and then share that experience with us here, by making a comment.  Thanks.
And I also hope that you'll become a follower of my blog - go ahead, sign up today, you'll be glad you did!
The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

2 comments:

Mama Hen said...

Interesting; I have never heard of ice cream being made with buttermilk. May have to try this out someday when I get that freezer!

susanlulu said...

Where are the blueberry recipes?
susanlulu@yahoo.com
Susan in NC