Saturday, February 4, 2012

Farmer Boy Recipe - Matzah Ball Soup

Here's something that is good tasting and good for you!  This is known as, "A Jewish Mother's Penicillin".  But, plain and simple - it is a soup that satisfies!  You don't have to be Jewish to eat this great soup!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Cup of Matzah Meal *
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons of oil (or chicken fat)
  • 2 Tablespoons of chicken broth
  • 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley (chopped)
  • Dash of salt & pepper
  • 2 qts. of chicken broth
  • Few large chunks of celery or carrots (about 1/2 a rib or carrot per serving)
Directions: In a bowl, beat the eggs with the broth and oil.  Add the Matzah meal, parsley, salt & pepper.   Form into balls, about the size fo a ping pong ball.  Let sit, while you heat the broth with the carrots or celery (I prefer both veggies!).  When the veggies are soft (about 15 - 20 minutes), remove them and set aside, to add later.
While the broth is still boiling, drop in the balls.  (They will float to the top.) Place a lid on the pot and cook for 35 - 40 minutes.

To serve: place the veggies in a soup bowl, cover them with balls, and then the broth.

*Note: If you can't find Matzah Meal, you could use finely ground cracker crumbs - but that's not Kosher!

This is a very comforting meal.  My confession: I usually eat more than one bowl! (Maybe that means I need a lot of comforting :)

If this recipe works for you - how about leaving a comment here?  I'd appreciate it :)
And if you haven't signed on to become a follower of my blog - how about doing that right now? And maybe even mention it to others to do the same.  Thanks.  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

1 comment:

Heather said...

Im so happy to have found your blog! This is so fun! I am a big Little House fan and I've been to mansfield a couple of times. Sounds like I need to get some sweets next time I'm there!