Friday, December 23, 2011

A Laura Ingalls Wilder Christmas

Laura wrote about Christmas in all her books, even to the extent that she sometimes devoted one or more chapters in a book to the subject.  Some have suggested that she did so because she had such great childhood experiences at Christmastime.  Let's see, were they thinking about the time that Pa was stranded out in the cold and ate all the kid's candy?  Or were they thinking about the time when they barely had enough to eat, or when they gave up some of their own Christmas gifts to make someone else's Christmas happy?  Maybe it was when they had to wait to celebrate Christmas in May, because the supplies couldn't get through by train, due to the snow! 

I think if I had to remember Christmas with times like that, I'd sure not be thinking of my childhood a being "great", let alone being something I'd want to write about in a novel!

No, I believe Laura wrote about Christmas because she understood the true meaning of it and the spirit that is evoked by it.  And I believe she longed for those days of her childhood innocence and found them anew, in her faith in a loving father in heaven. I've never heard of her having read Dickens' Christmas stories, but if she had, she would have loved the sentiment he shared, "God bless us, everyone!"

I hope that you will celebrate Christmas, with a personal relationship with the one for which the day is so named.  No, I'm not talking about Santa!  By the way, I'm not really Santa - I just play him at Christmastime  :)  And look like him all year long!  :)

Here's a picture of the "Old Man in the Bib Overalls" standing by the tree, in front of the fireplace in Laura & Almanzo's house on Rocky Ridge Farm, December, 2011.
I'd be happy if you'd share some Christmas memories in comments here.  Thanks. 
Merry Christmas! The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

"Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time." Laura Ingalss Wilder

1 comment:

Sue Francs said...

Jim, Great Story, My mother grew up the way Laura did, coming from of family 12 children, they had chirstimas but not like the kids today have. I think that always made families closer. Any loved your picture in front of my cousin fireplace. Have a great Xmas and New Year. I know I am looking forward to a new year with everything I hve been thru this year. Sue France