Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Farmer Boy Christmas Recipe: Cranberry-Orange Shortbread Cookies

This cookie recipe is derived from the basic shortbread cookie recipe.  This is the version I like best.  I've made these, with great aclaim from those who recieved them as part of my Christmas gift giving, or when I brought them to a Christmas party.  I'm sure you'll hear the same reports when you present them at Christmastime!
Farmer Boy Cranberry-Orange Shortbread Cookies


Ingredients:
  • 1 Cup of butter (softened)
  • 3/4 Cup of powdered sugar
  • 1/2 Cup of dried cranberries (chopped)
  • 1 Tablespoon of Orange zest
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
  • 2 Cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon of salt
Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Cream together the sugar and butter.  Combine with the dried cranberries, orange zest, vanilla, and almond extract.  Add the flour, baking powder and salt.  Mix well. A little at a time, roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into rectangles, about 1" X 2".  Place onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan.  Bake for approximately 12 - 14 minutes, checking the underside of the cookies to make sure they don't brown too much.  Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.  You may choose to dust with powdered sugar.  This recipe makes about 5 dozen.  (That gives you 3 dozen to give as gifts, and 2 dozen for you to pig out on!) :)  1 serving = 4 cookies

You can also make a diabetic version of these, by substituting the powdered sugar with the no-sugar powdered substitute.  (You end up with about 2 g. sugar, 7.5 g. fat, 6.6 g. carbohydrates per serving & less fat, if you use a diabetic friendly butter spread.)  (But don't quote me, I'm no expert on these nutritional breakdowns!)

At Christmastime, I like to give my cookies and baked goods to those elderly, who aren't able to safely do their own baking anymore.  But if you get something from me, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are in that group!  :)  Oh, be sure to leave some for Santa.  And I'm not just saying that because people often mistake me for him!  ;)

"By the sacrifice we make in giving we show our love for humanity, our pity for the helpless, and our generosity toward those less fortunate than ourselves."  Laura Ingalls Wilder

I hope you'll make some of these cookies this year.  And be sure to let us all know, here, by leaving a comment.  Thanks.  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I love shortbread cookies. They are great with tea.