Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Farmer Boy "Apples 'n' Onions"

If  you've ever read Laura Ingalls Wilder's book, "Farmer Boy", then you probably remember that a dish of "Apples 'n' Onions" was pretty important to Almanzo.  I've posted this recipe so that you can find out, first hand, why it was so important to him!  *Note: This is not the original recipe, which his mother made for him! (I know that, because I made the recipe up to suit myself!)

Ingredients:
  • 3 Cups of tart apples, (any variety you'd like - I use Granny Smith & Fuji)
  • 3 Cups of onions, (any variety you'd like - I use yellow, sweet or white)
  • 1 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
  • 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons of bacon drippings
  • 2 Tablespoons of butter
  • ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, (just a pinch of each)
Directions: Peel and core the apples.  Make very thin slices of them (1/8 inch or less - what I'd call "Paper thin").  Peel and slice the onions similarly.  Over medium heat, in a large fry pan, heat the bacon drippings and butter.  *Note: don't use an iron skillet - because the vinegar might interact and give you a bad taste.
Add the onions, vinegar and sugar. Cover the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent burning and sticking, till the onions caramelize and turn golden brown.  Add the apples and spices.  Cover the pan again, stirring and simmering again, till the apples become limp.

That's it!  Pretty simple, isn't it?
I served this up here with sausage and a slice of multi-grain bread, but you can serve it any way you see fit.  It goes good, as a side dish, with many foods; especially pork.  I'll bet Almanzo would have been happy to eat it all by itself!

Once you've tried this, you'll see why, "Almanzo said that what he liked most in the world was fried apples 'n' onions." (Laura Ingalls Wilder - from "Farmer Boy")

If you like this recipe, please let us all know, by leaving a comment here. Thanks. The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

2 comments:

Laura said...

Guess what! I have made this for my husband (with pork chops) and he likes it!

Anonymous said...

This looks sensational! I will definitely have to try this recipe at home.