- 3 Cups of tart apples, (any variety you'd like - I use Granny Smith & Fuji)
- 3 Cups of onions, (any variety you'd like - I use yellow, sweet or white)
- 1 Tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of bacon drippings
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
- ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, (just a pinch of each)
Add the onions, vinegar and sugar. Cover the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent burning and sticking, till the onions caramelize and turn golden brown. Add the apples and spices. Cover the pan again, stirring and simmering again, till the apples become limp.
That's it! Pretty simple, isn't it?
Once you've tried this, you'll see why, "Almanzo said that what he liked most in the world was fried apples 'n' onions." (Laura Ingalls Wilder - from "Farmer Boy")
If you like this recipe, please let us all know, by leaving a comment here. Thanks. The Old Man in the Bib Overalls