Saturday, October 6, 2012

Apple Walnut Bread

Still celebrating "National Dessert Month"!  Maybe I'll make it my own, "National Dessert Year" next year!  This is a recipe that I've developed and made for some 40 years. Gosh, am I that old already?  Seems like only yesterday.  Anyway, When I had an orchard on my farm, I used what I grew there, Golden Delicious Apples.  Now that I don't have the orchard, I am using an apple that is a little more firm and tart, Granny Smith.  But if you don't like either one of those apples, use what you like!
Farmer Boy Apple Walnut Bread
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 Cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Cup of granulated sugar
  • 1/2 Cup of brown sugar
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 3 Tablespoons of cooking oil
  • 3/4 Cup of whole milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 Cup of walnuts, chopped
  • 1/3 Cup of raisins
  • 1/3 Cup of unsweeted, shredded coconut
  • 1 1/2 Cups of apples, chopped (peel if you prefer)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Stir in the milk, oil and egg, followed by the nuts and fruits.  When completely mixed, pour into a greased and floured loaf pan.  Bake for about an hour (till probe comes out clean).  Remove promptly from the pan to cool.
Preparation for making this recipe goes fairly quick - you don't have to be real exact in the chopping or size of everything, it just always comes out, no matter what you do! That's probably why I love making it!
The coconut keeps it moist and the raisins just seem to compliment the apples and nuts.  I like to use both regular and golden raisins.  Sometimes I add about a Tablespoon of apple cider or raisin juice along with the milk.  And when it strikes me, I may use more cinnamon.  Sometimes I even glaze the loaf with cinnamon, butter and powdered sugar. Whatever adjustments you wish to make to this recipe, is up to you!  But you can't go wrong with this basic recipe.
It is fun making this in the Fall of the year, when apples are abundant and it's nice to have the oven on!  And then the whole house smells like apples and cinnamon!

If you make this, please let us all know, by leaving a comment here. Thanks.  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

"Those who stop dreaming never accomplish anything." Laura Ingalls Wilder

No comments: