Saturday, January 7, 2012

Farmer Boy Recipe - Comfort Bread

When winter comes upon us here, in the Ozarks, a loaf of bread can ease the pain of a cold wind and an ice storm - especially if it is bread made from this recipe!  * This recipe is for use in a bread machine.

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 Cup of water (80 degrees F.)
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons of butter
  • 1/4 Cup of Honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1 1/2 Cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 Cups of bread flour
  • 1 banana, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (ripe; but not over ripe)  (= 3/4 to 1 Cup)
  • scant pinch of cinnamon & nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons of poppy seeds
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons dry yeast
Directions: Place all ingredients into the pan in the order given and set the machine according to the manufacture's directions for a 2 lb. loaf & let 'er fly!

This bread makes a great "Elvis" sandwich!  (Cut 2 slices, smear both with peanut butter. Fry up 3 - 4 slices of bacon.  Throw those over the peanut butter.  Drain the grease from the skillet, leaving about 2 Tablespoons.  Place the sandwich in the skillet & brown on both sides.) Wow, I'm all shook up!
(grape jam is optional)  This is a good snack to make to celebrate Elvis' birthday, January 8th.

Satisfaction During an Ice Storm
When the Oak Leaves is on the mountain
And the roads is glazed with ice,
I might taste the air is bitter
But hunger for somethin' nice.
My hands at work get weary so,
I drop my tools behind me
It's on my way home I go.
Make sure first the animals is fed,
Then to the house I give a smell,
There awaits my fresh backed bread.
Mom says, "Pull up a chair; set a spell."
We say our grace and eat till full,
I feel like in Heaven then,
God gives all that's good
To us hard workin' men!

The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

If you like this recipe, please leave a comment here for us all.  Thanks

1 comment:

Mama Hen said...

Mmmm, I can just smell this baking...
I would not have thought to make an Elvis sandwich with it, but you're right - it would be perfect!