Monday, August 22, 2011

My blog content & intent

When I began my blog I didn't have any idea of what I would put on it, but I knew that I wanted to make a connection with folks.  Through circumstances of entering and winning a local pie contest I was encouraged to get back into my kitchen and do some cooking and baking.  Once I did that, I just had the urge to share some recipes.  Soon it became obvious that my blog would take on a distinctive appearance, have many recipes.  I called these, "Farmer Boy Recipes", because of the influence in my life of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her husband, Almanzo (Farmer Boy).  The other driving force behind my recipes was the fact that most of them are family recipes, handed down for over a century.

So far, I have not had enough feedback in comments left on my blog site to know whether or not this direction has had much of an impact.  I don't want to selfishly force my recipes on my blog audience.  And I don't want to appear as a "Foodiot"; one who is fixated on writing every little detail about my meals.  But I wouldn't mind being known as a "Recipenatic"; one who fanatically shares his recipes.  As with my shop, I want to share my experiences with others - whether it is the "Little House" things or my recipes, or my faith.  My sharing of these things is not intended to just build my ego; but rather to increase awareness and enjoyment of them to anyone who would listen.

If you enjoy reading my blog postings, or my recipes, I'd like to know.  And the only way is for you to leave a comment.  It was never my intent to blog as a lecturer.  I appreciate two-way communication and need your comments in order to improve my blog.  So, if you have somthing to say about a recipe or anything else, please leave a comment.  And please pass on my blog site address to somebody else.  Thanks.   The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

"If we would not be satisfied until we had passed a share of our happiness on to other people, what a world we could make!"                                                                                                                 Laura Ingalls Wilder

4 comments:

Laura said...

I do enjoy your postings and your recipes. I hope to try some of the recipes in the fall/winter when it isn't so busy around here.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim,

As someone who has been blogging since 2005, I can tell you that you would have an easier time finding a needle in a haystack than getting tons of comments. I have hundreds of visitors a week, but only a handful of comments. It can get discouraging.

Also, the comment box you have is embedded, which means sometimes people might have trouble leaving comments. My suggestion would be to go into your settings and change it so the comment box appears as a full page instead. That will make it much easier. If you need help with this, please email me. You can find my email address in my profile if you don't still have it.

On another note, I love coming by here when I have the time, but this summer has gotten away from me. I hope you'll continue. Getting on Facebook and/or Twitter might help you too.

Blessings,

Cheryl
http://ccmalandrinos.com

Rebecca said...

I just found your blog through your interview with Cheryl at her little house blog, which, by the way I found on facebook. I think you are a sweet man to bring attention to Laura and keep the memory of her alive for future generations. Good luck with you store.

Ramona said...

I also found your blog through the interview on Cheryls blog. I truly like your writing.

Hopefully I will have more time to read through your blog. Please share your recipes, it is very interesting to read about it.

May God bless you dearly.

Greetings from Switzerland

Ramona