Sunday, June 26, 2011

Farmer Boy Recipe - Blueberry Fingers & Pancakes

I went blueberry picking this week.  There is a wonderful U-Pick blueberry patch near me, so I took advantage of it.  I started at about 7AM and picked and picked.  Two hours later I had enough blueberries to last me into next year. (I hope!) I picked so many berries that my fingers turned blue! (Stained that is!)

Blueberries provide antioxidants, being high in vitamin C & K.  You can make all sorts of dishes with them - from sweet breads to teas.  I'll be freezing a number of them to use later in the year and I hope to share some of those recipes as I pull them out of the freezer.

Considering the 90 degree weather we are having at this time I felt I didn't want to heat the kitchen up by making anything in the oven.  So, I made Blueberry Pancakes.  Since I'm only making meals for myself I make enough to eat and enough to freeze and enjoy later.  Here is my recipe:
Farmer Boy Blueberry Pancakes
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Cup - All-purpose flour
  • 1/2 Cup - Whole Wheat flour
  • 1 Cup - Mix (Bisquick or the like)
  • 1/2 Cup - Buttermilk
  • 1 Tablespoon - Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons - Brown Sugar
  • 2/3 Cup - Half n Half
  • 2 large Eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon - Baking Powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon - Baking Soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon - Cinnamon (or crushed Anise seeds)
  • 1/4 Cup - Quick Oats
  • 1 Cup - Blueberries (fresh or frozen)
Directions:  Sift together all the flours, sugar, powder, soda and salt into a large bowl.  Stir in the oats and spice.  Mix together the buttermilk, oil, half n half, buttermilk, and eggs & combine them with the dry mixture. (You may wish to add the blueberries at this time as well.)  Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.  Heat your giddle over medium high heat with about a Tablespoon of oil.  (I use an Iron Skillet)  You'll know the griddle is ready when a drop of water pops when dropped in it.                                                                                                Drop by 1/4 Cup onto the griddle.  (You may add the blueberries on top of the pool at this time - about 5 per cake will do) Cook till you see bubbles form in the cake and the outsides start to firm up (about 1 - 2 minutes).  Turn and cook the other side about another minute.
Serve: with a dollop of butter and whatever topping you prefer.  (If you used cinnamon in the batter, you could use cinnamon sugar - maple sugar is also good - but any topping will do!

My guess is: Farmer Boy, (Almanzo) would have eaten a full stack of 10 or 11 of these! (See "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder for further reference.)

If you enjoy this recipe, please let me know by leaving a comment. Thanks.  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

2 comments:

Val said...

I'm not a huge blueberry fan--I love picking them but not eating them--but your pancakes look so pretty.

Anonymous said...

I love fresh bluberries, but I've never been picking before. I'm trying to set up the yard here so I can add in some blueberry and blackberry bushes. I would love to add a few apple trees too.

These pancakes look yummy.