Saturday, February 23, 2013

Farmer Boy Recipe - "Fried Corn Meal Mush"

Since this is "Hot Breakfast Month", I thought I'd include this recipe.

In Laura's book, "Little House on the Prairie", they ate this for breakfast. One particular time, they ate it along with hash made from Prairie Chicken!  After that great meal, Pa had the enthusiasm to make the door needed to protect their newly built cabin! 
You probably won't have any Prairie Chicken Hash available, but it is worth trying this recipe, with another type of hash or even without hash.  (Besides, I don't recall having a recipe for Prairie Chicken Hash to help you out there!)  :)

Ingredients:
  • Prepared Gruel (corn meal mush)
  • All-purpose flour
  • Butter
Directions: After making a batch of Grue (see my recipe in the archives), place it into a greased loaf pan and refrigerate it overnight.  Then slice it into 1/2 inch slices.  Melt some butter in a fry pan or skillet.  Simply fry up the slices, turning to brown both sides. 
Serve warm.  You may wish to make this as a side dish with eggs.  I like this with molasses drizzled on top.


Freda, Almanzo's cousin, told me that her uncle liked to fry this up in Bear Grease!
I don't know what this meal will do for you, but I'd sure be glad  to hear, if you'll come back here and leave a comment - especially if you fry it up in Bear Grease!  :)  Thanks.
The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

No comments: