Thursday, August 30, 2012

Laura Ingalls Wilder sees my house!

On this date, in 1894: Laura, Almanzo and little Rose, lined up their wagon along with 10 other emigrant wagons, and made their grand entrance into the "Gem City of the Ozarks" (Mansfield, Missouri).  They passed the town square at apporoximately 11:30 a.m., as Laura wrote in her journal.

They took a tour of the town that day, which had about 300 to 400 residents at that time.  They, no doubt, saw my house (the oldest one in town - actually built before the rest of the town - in 1881).  Directly across the street from my house they saw the Methodist Church, which they would later attend.

Laura later became friends with the people who lived in my house at that time.  She was to be a frequent visitor to my house, as she attended the many teas given in conjuction with the women's club that both she and the homeowner were members.

But it was this day, in 1894, that Laura first saw Mansfield.  She and Almanzo must have liked what they saw, since they bought a farm and lived here the rest of their lives.  Who wouldn't want to live in a township named, "Pleasant Valley"?

I am proud to live in the oldest house in the town that Laura chose to live in also.  Since I now have a souvenir and candy shop inside my house, I am happy to invite all visitors who come to see Laura's hometown.

Laura's home is still standing, on her "Rocky Ridge Farm", as it was the day she died, in 1957.  The home is open to the public and is only one mile away from my house. If you come to Mansfield to see Laura's Historic Home & Museum, I hope you'll drop by and visit with me also.  And, at this present time, I have a houseguest - a 90 year old lady, who is a cousin to Almanzo.  She likes to sit in my shop and visit with customers and they enjoy the stories she has to share as well.

For more information, see my web site: www.laurassweetmemories.com  Thanks.  The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

1 comment:

susanlulu said...

I am just reading this now for the first time! How neat!!! I toured there (not your house)years ago with Barb and George Hawkins - Little House tour. I've always wanted to come back. Love it there!
Susan in NC