Thursday, May 10, 2012

Caroline Ingalls' "Mother's Day" meal

In "These Happy Golden Years", Laura wrote about the meal that they ate when Mary was home from college.  This is what they had:
Hash Browns, Poached Eggs, Biscuits with Butter, the girls had fresh milk and Ma & Pa had tea.

It wasn't a lavish meal, but it was one that they enjoyed - the company made the meal special!
The American "Mother's Day" holiday wasn't in practice at that time.  But I'm sure Ma Ingalls felt that was a very special day for her!

If you are considering what you might do for your mother this Mother's Day, maybe you could make this simple meal for her.

"Reading a message from my mother, I am a child again and a longing unutterable fills my heart for Mother's counsel, for the safe haven of her protection and the relief from responsibility which trusting in her judgment always gave me." Laura Ingalls Wilder

I pray my mother is resting in the arms of Jesus on this Mother's Day. The Old Man in the Bib Overalls
Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am missing my mother this Mother's Day. She has been gone not quite two years and I miss her every day.

Val said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Laura. ♥

And Jim, this sounds good. I also like the idea of honoring "Ma" with a basket of warm vanity cakes and cold milk like Ma treated Laura and her friends to in the "Country Party" chapter of On the Banks of Plum Creek. 'Kind of a simple tea party. :)

As Laura's comment makes clear, though, it is, as the old saying goes, who's on the seats and not what's on the table that matters most. ♥♥ :)