Thursday, March 1, 2012

Laura Ingalls Wilder & the Girl Scouts of America

Would you believe there is a connection between Laura and the Girl Scouts?  No, she wasn't a Girl Scout!  She was 45 years old when the Girl Scouts organization was founded.  And her daughter, Rose, would have been about 26 years old at that point.  But there really is a connection, trust me!

When I first went looking for the connection, I thought I might find it with Rose.  Turns out: Rose was a good friend of President and Mrs. Hoover.  Mrs. Hoover was, twice, a president of the Girl Scouts.  She served two terms: 1922 - 1925 and 1935 - 1937.  But I researched to see if Rose was a Girl Scout troup leader or had helped Mrs. Hoover, and came up empty!

Here was an organization for girls, teaching them just about all the skills that both Laura and Rose had lived firsthand, and yet there was no interaction between them!   But there's still a connection!

What had prompted my research, was the fact that the Girl Scouts of America are celebrating their centennial year this year, beginning in March!  So I wanted to say, "Happy Anniversary, Girl's!"   So I looked further for a connection and finally found it!

But the connection wasn't there in the beginning.  It wasn't until Laura's books had gone on to be world famous that a connection was made!  The connection is this: A program for the girls to earn a "Laura Ingalls Wilder Patch"!



As I understand the subject of patches and badges; they vary in design from state to state and individual troops, and even the requirements for the Laura Ingalls Wilder Program will vary.  But the basics are:
  • Read at least 4 "Little House" books and give a report
  • Learn about life in a covered wagon and possibly make a model of a covered wagon
  • Bake bread from scratch or cook a meal over an open campfire
  • Hand sew a sunbonnet or apron
  • Visit a Laura Ingalls Wilder historic site
Others include: making a craft item, like Laura might have made, write a repoet on Laura's life, and playing games that Laura would have played as a child.

I can't think of a better role model in history to emulate!  And learning about history this way is always a good thing to do!

As I researched, I foung that I have a connection to the Girl Scouts too!  My great grandfather was a stamp collector.  Among his collection I found this envelop and special stamp:
I hope the Girl Scouts of America will keep their focus and high ideals for training girls to become well-rounded young women - women who will make a difference in the world around them.   So, now I can say, "Happy Anniversary, Girl Scouts of America!"

"Women have been privileged to look on and criticize the way the world has been run. "A man-made world" we have called it now and then, implying that women would have done so much better in managing its affairs. The signs indicate that we are going to have a chance to remake it nearer to the heart's desire. I wish I might be sure that we would be equal to our opportunity." Laura Ingalls Wilder

Your comments about the GSA 100th year celebration are welcome here. Thanks. The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

2 comments:

Laura said...

I was only a Girl Scout for one year. However, I was a proud Girl Scout leader for nine years (hold a Lifetime membership) and a very proud mother of a Gold Award (highest rank in Girl Scouting) Recipient!

Allyson/HBMomof2 said...

I am a Brownie Troop Leader in California and my daughter, who is in her 3rd year of scouting, is a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder fan. Her class has read 3 of the books and she is reading the others on her own. I am currently researching places we would like to visit and your wonderful site popped up. There are many Girl Scouts all over the country who experience how Laura lived through our outdoor camping programs and troop fun. I teach them and allow them to discover that every person can have an impact on the world around them, every little bit helps. I hope to impact my girls by showing that they can do whatever they want in the future through hard work and being servants of the Lord.

There are many things happening all over the United States to celebrate our 100th birthday. The Girl Scouts of the USA are also encouraging all alumni to get in contact with their local councils to take part in a celebration that they helped create! Blessings to you and thank you for finding a relation between two loves of my own daughter.