Sunday, November 20, 2011

Laura Ingalls Wilder & the Golden Spike

In the October 9, 2011 posting on the blog "As A Laura Ingalls Wilder Researcher Thinks", it was brought to my attention that Laura had been "A Spike Striker" at a railroad ceremony in 1908 Mansfield. (See that blog for the story, "Why Laura?"  I have a link to that blog on this page.)   I got busy to corroborate this story.  I found that the Mansfield Mirror (our local newspaper) had lost all their story archives in a fire that took place in 1916.  So the Mirror editor, Larry, suggested that I check with the Douglas County Herald, the newspaper in Ava, MO.  I visited them and they graciously allowed me to search for their story of the event in their archival microfilm.  This is what I found; in the Douglas County Herald of Thursday August 27, 1908:































So, the story proved factual. (I knew it would!)

If you know what happened to the spike after the ceremony, I'd like to know.

But now I wonder if this spike (pictured here) could be the one they used that day.  It was brought up out of my basement after some construction work.
Now it is in a very safe place, just in case it's the one that Laura pounded in that day!  :)

You just never know, till you check things out!  Just ask Nancy Cleaveland!

The Old Man in the Bib Overalls

3 comments:

Laura said...

Keep us updated on your mystery spike. That would indeed be an exciting find if it was the one that Laura had pounded!

Cheryl said...

Oh, that would be neat if it's one and the same.

pioneergirl said...

So happy to know what Laura's official role was; thanks for the great research, Rev. Jim! And thanks for mentioning my blog about it. Next time I'm in Mansfield, I'd love to go see some of the old railroad bed.

That's a pretty shiny spike to have been in your basement so long, which makes me curious about what it's made of. Is it gold-plated? Dare I even ask if it's solid gold?

And are you going to let me strike it on the head for good luck, like Laura did?! :-)