Saturday, April 9, 2011

Easter - a time to enjoy candy!

Easter, or Resurrection Day, has long been associated with the giving and eating of candy.  The new movie, HOP, has given the candy industry a new lease on life and "Jelly Bellys" are always in stock here.
At this point you must visit Laura's "Sweet Memories" to experience and purchase - nothing is sold over the internet.  It's the experience that makes the shop the place to visit before or after a visit to Laura's home of Rocky Ridge Farm, just a mile away.

Our Easter Candies arrive the week of April10th - but it is a candy shop afterall - so you'll always find a great variety of candy throughout the year!

"The Old Man in the Bib Overalls" has been busy stocking all those unique candy items; especially those that are associated traditionally with Easter.
The stock of candy has doubled from last year.  And will probably continue to grow, if I don't run out of room to display it!  It is fun to work in a candy shop - not because of the candy, but because I get to see all those happy faces!  Some will tell you that candy isn't good for you!  But, if you don't have some self-indulgence, life is pretty flat!  And I, myself, can't leave the "Farmer Boy Fudge" alone!  I also enjoy the "Pa's Fiddle" chocolate piece.  And I like the Root Beer Barrels, too!  And ... well, I guess I stock a lot of my favorites as well as those everyone else enjoys!

I make my own greeting cards and have made some special ones for Easter. 

Laura didn't write much about their celebration of Easter.  But she did write a lot, and often, about Christmas.  That's why I stock Christmas candies year around!  And there will always be a "Christmas in May" celebration to honor her memories of the Christmas her family celebrated in "The Long Winter".  But that's coming next month.  Right now I'm busy working with E.B. to make up some Easter Baskets.  Working in this shop may be fun, but it's still work!  What do they say, "50% inspiration & 50% perspiration"? Do you have any Easter traditions in your family that involve candy?
It is my firm belief that every family has an interesting story; just like Laura's family had one.  But aren't you glad that she wrote hers?

If you are a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan and know others who might be interested in seeing what goes on in her hometown of Mansfield, please let them know about this blog.  Thanks.  Please come back and feel free to leave nice comments. :)

1 comment:

Val said...

I hadn't realized until now that I don't remember any mentions of Easter in Laura's writings--even in her later farm journal/newspaper writings. 'Makes me want to reread. . . .

I know things weren't as commercialized back then, but it's also pretty easy to picture Laura and her mother and sisters creating pretty spring wildflower bouquets and simple sweets for an Easter table or springtime celebration. She always went into such loving detail over the candy her parents treated her to at Christmas, after all, and their simple Christmas celebrations--with the tiny gifts at each plate or in each stocking for the kids--were so sweet. :)